Thursday, September 15, 2011

Moral Compass: Defining Individuality



            You find yourself in a situation that presents only two options. The first option will greatly benefit you at the expense of a stranger’s happiness. The second option will benefit the stranger, but will provide you with no physical reward. This opportunity will never present itself again. Which would you choose?
Nearly every time that you are presented with two or more options, a decision must be made. In every conscious decision an individual processes the outcomes and then acts accordingly. Each person is different in their thinking, yet the process by which everyone ultimately comes to a decision under these circumstances is very similar. First, the individual must encounter a situation that provides two or more options. This occurs countless times on a daily basis, though the gravity of each situation certainly varies. Then, the outcomes of each known option are weighed and compared with one another. After this is done, an intentional choice is made depending on what outcome the individual prefers.
Try to envision being placed in the situation described above. Would you choose to benefit yourself or a total stranger? The answer will vary from person to person, simply because everyone has different guiding factors that influence their decision making. Like a moral compass, these deciding factors are what point us in a direction when we are given choices. These points can be anything; family, survival, music, religion, happiness, or anything else. The list is limitless. Some may wish to benefit themselves above others, while some may focus on being selfless toward everyone, or perhaps only a select few. If everyone follows their own true North, they will all travel along different paths. This is individuality.
The influencing factors in my life are the guidelines for each decision I have made or will ever make in my entire life. These so-called “points” to my moral compass are ultimately everything that makes me the person I am. When I am reduced to my simplest form, in its most basic entirety, I am motivated by only a few things. In no particular order, these are love, happiness, values, education, music, survival, freedom, family, friendship, and America.
As an individual, my moral compass differs from yours. This does not make you wrong. It does not make me right. I personally believe that you should take pride in what makes you unique and celebrate individuality. So I implore you to follow the advice of a very clichéd idiom. “March to the beat of your own drum.”



12 comments:

  1. That last paragraph resonated very well with me. I also point out how important I think it is to be able to express your own individuality. Do you think we ever take for granted our right to express ourselves when many other people in the world are not able to do so safely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a comment and blogger deleted it of it's own free will. I think the world may be in grave danger; technology is destroying our communication. If we can't group up... we will be destroyed in the upcoming robot war.

    Wait, what? I agree with Chris about the last paragraph you wrote, it was a very nice paragraph and fit very well into the rest of the post. Some of the sentences you wrote were a little hard to follow, but all in all I really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your intro is very compelling and sets up the paper very well. I am confused to the fact that you hold values as part as your morals because some would combine the two together. Your values are what you hold dear, they are your beliefs, your MORALS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you wrote a lot and agree with all the points you wrote down. It really makes you think but you did a good job at explaining it. I like how you talked about weighing out problems and making a decision but should people always take pride in what they do in all situations?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I think usually when someone doesn't take pride in their actions it is because they were not acting in accordance with their moral compass. I think you should take pride in any decision you make that is based on your moral compass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As others have said your intro is very intriguing and makes you want to keep reading. The moral dilemma presented really makes you think about what choice you would make. I also like the compass picture you put at the end to add to the visual compartment. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Chris, I think we do take for granted the importance of our freedom to express ourselves. This is why two of my compass points are freedom and America, two things that I really cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post. i was surprised and glad to see you mentioned America as one of your moral points. you are the first person i have seen do that. i think that deep down every patriot strives to follow the same morals that our founding fathers had when they created our nation. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats true although there are many things in modern America that I disagree with, I love what this country stands for and the beliefs it was founded on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you started your post with a example of a situation where your moral compass would come into play, you are the only blog I've read so far to do that. However even though you told us what your moral are you never answered your own question, what would your morals lead you to do in that situation?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't answer the question mainly because I feel its one of those morality questions that really makes the reader think. In that situation I would like to think that I would choose the selfless option but until I'm actually in the situation I'm not really sure what I would do

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how you included the actual picture of your compass for a nice visual aid, also the way you introduced a situation where people refer to their personal compasses. Adding the "march to the beat of your own drum" at the end was a great touch because it is true everyone has a different outlook on life so the things important to them and guide them will differ from the points that you have. What specific values do you refer to in your compass?

    ReplyDelete