Thursday, October 6, 2011

I Believe Life is An Improvised Solo




            This is the moment I live for. It is my purpose. It is the single reason why blood flows through my veins. In this moment, everything feels right. When I am assembled with a group of talented musicians I know my purpose. We all feel this sense of belonging, and together, we share it. We have become a single expression united by a rhythm and harmony.
            Our feet rise and fall in perfect unison. One indistinctive tap is only slightly audible underneath the musical blend of instruments. For each of us, these instruments have become an extension of our very souls. We have crafted our skills to express our personalities and channel them into an audible form. Without a word, we experience every event, every examination, and every emotion of our lives together. We build off of one another’s feel. This is the creation of music.
            I am seated in a circle with the rest of the musicians. My hand repositions itself along the neck of my guitar with grace. Experienced fingers move sensually along the fret board, finding precise notes with ease. Every part of me has become focused. My ears process the music, and my mind reacts. Playing the instrument is natural. It is effortless. Simply feeling, reading, and reacting. The saxophone begins to solo. I pay careful attention to everything else, following the form of the song exactly. The sax speaks in phrases. He tells a story, and the rest of us accompany him. My eyes meet the eyes of the soloist. Holding out a long note, he slightly nods his head toward me.
            “It’s your turn next.” He’s telling me. “Play your heart out.” I wait for him to reach the end of the progression. As soon as we reach the top of the form, I will begin to tell the story where he left off; in my own wording. He begins his last phrase. I breathe in deeply as the soloist exhales one last powerful note.
            All skillfully crafted instrumental solos follow a few key guidelines in order to leave a lasting impact. They must have an apparent rhythm. They must have some sense of direction. And the notes must have a sense of purpose. Without these things, a musician cannot possibly create a solo with a significant effect on anyone.
            I believe life is an improvised solo. I can either give an amateur performance, or I can try with everything I’ve got to create something spectacular. Personally, I want to influence the world. If my life is a performance, the people I meet will be my audience. When my solo is finally over, I want it to have a lasting impact on my observers.
           The saxophone sings its’ final note. My foot is rising and falling to the rhythm. Now it’s my turn to solo. I know the direction I want to go and strike my first note. It resonates with purpose.

15 comments:

  1. Hey Adam! Your post resonated with my soul. I also play an instrument; the majestic trombone. We should jam sometime. Have you ever jammed with a trombone before? It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this post. It's beautiful. I've never thought of life in that way, but it is a great point. I've seen musicians perform solos in jazz band and it's extremely admirable to be able to do something so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was a sick post. you're a great writer Adam. one thing i connected with was how all your practice showed itself through your performance, and the instrument you used to transfer that was your hands. it was the same way with me when i played football, all the practice and training i did showed itself through my performance on the field, and my instrument was my hands, they were the first thing to hit the other team. it feels awesome o do well at something you practice for years. its my favorite feeling in the world. great post Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Will that would be awesome and yes I jam with the entire band every day at school. I will turn to my right and talk to you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that you have a hobby that you are also able to express yourself with, Adam. Finding a group to play with is a wonderful way of sharing ideas and inspiring others. Do you also use music to deal with personal issues or distraught emotions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was absolutely amazing! Music can have such an impact on people and you seem like you completely understand this concept and are able to create an impact that will surely last! I thought this was very well organized and it flowed nicely, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you Tucker I think when you are passionate about something and practice a lot, it is the best feeling in the world to do it for real. All the practice pays off for those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you personified the Saxaphone and paralleled life with your solo. This is an awesome This I Believe essay and I really think you should use it as a college essay if you we'rent already planning on it, especially if you want to persue music, it would be great for an application essay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. IM ADAM. I LIKE DONUTS AND GUITARSTUFF. I LIKE ATTENTIONS AND PEOPLE WITH MORE GUITARS. GUITARS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know it was you TYLER SCAGLIARINI! That was not Will. It was TYLER SCAGLIARINI

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing and unlike anything I've read before. It is unique and great that you have this talent. I really believe you can make it. You seem to be really focused and you do a great job explaining how good you feel to play music. How were you inspired to do this to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adam,
    Excellent post. Felt like I was in the circle with you. Just a suggestion: drop "I believe" and just state "life is an improvised solo..." A statement is more powerful than an opinion.
    See you on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kailey: I'm not really sure how exactly I was inspired, I just have been doing it for years and have just loved doing it the entire time.
    Mr. Stanton: Thank you for your input I wil definitely consider that when I send this to colleges.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adam, this is fantastic! I used to play the saxophone! This is very inspiring and shows your passion to play music. Are you pursuing a career in music, or is this just a hobby of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that was an awesome read Adam. You painted an amazing image with your words, and I could understand exactly how you feel about playing your instrument. It reminded me of how I feel when I am playing baseball. Great job man.

    -Cody Davey

    ReplyDelete